Reviewing Depeche Mode's Delta Machine - 7 years later


This was originally posted on reddit.

Please bear in mind that I really love Depeche Mode, it's my favorite band, and I wish I had Martin's skill for writing songs. Having said that, here's my review of Delta Machine, track by track:

- Welcome to my world: good lyrics, poor arrangements. Tracks like this is the reason DM needs a producer that can take a rough demo and modify it beyond what they imagined.

- Angel: this is why you pay for unlimited skips on Spotify (but I swear I listened to it all). Should've been a B-side at most.

- Heaven: good lyrics, poor arrangements. Tracks like this is the reason DM needs a producer that can take a rough demo and modify it beyond what they imagined.

- Secret to the end: I prefer the music to the lyrics. Could have been a nice instrumental.

- My little universe: what happens when Martin can't stop listening to minimal techno at home and wants to bring part of that sound to his lyrics? This. I can picture Martin playing the voxless version of it at his private DJ sets at a different tempo and people going wild. Plastikman would add some deep bass to the remix and make a 20-min version of it. As for the album version: meh.

- Slow: probably what Fletch requests to be played at his lap dances. It's Martin playing 3-4 chords on guitar as he usually does. This is a song I'm sure I will forget the second it ends. Again, a good producer might have done something different with this, although the strip club lyrics are a bit disappointing.

- Broken: I've just asked myself if I'll be able to listen to this whole album. Neither the music or the lyrics are appealing. A demo that should have been burnt.

- The Child Inside: Can Martin ever repeat what he did on Somebody or Home? This is proof that the answer is no. This should've been one of those [expletive] instrumentals they've had in albums since Alan left. Yes, I still resent his leaving.

- Soft Touch / Raw Nerve: I didn't remember this song was this bad. That's Fletch on main keyboards, right? The more I listen to Martin on backing vocals, the more I'm convinced he had to join Dave in the recording booth as to motivate him to sing songs like this one. On my vinyl copy of Delta Machine, this track is in Mint condition since I skip it every single time.

- Should be higher: I like this song, probably because it's not as bad as the previous 3 songs. Still, I wouldn't give it more than a 7 out of 10.

- Alone: I've just realized this is a very long album to listen to. Why did I say I was going to do this? Just to prove my point, probably. "I knew you at your worst": Martin describing this and other songs on Delta Machine. At this point, I'm convinced they should have released this as a 6-song EP, including 2 remixes.

- Soothe my soul: very good track. Deserved at least 4 remixes. Wasn't this played in a HBO series called True Blood? I liked True Blood... 8.5/10 for this track. 8 for True Blood... 7 for Sookie, 10 for La Fayette.

- Goodbye: why didn't they tale a hint and finish the album right here? This is like a bad mix of 3 musical ideas and lyrics that lacked inspiration. I like Martin's guitar here and his "Goooood bye" chorus. Again, that's how the album should have ended. But no, they had to justify the double LP...

- Long Time Lie: I really, really want this album to end. It's been a long, long, long time since I heard a decent DM track now.

- Happens all the time: now I'm wondering why I bought this album on CD and Vinyl. I just checked my laptop battery and unfortunately, it's still got enough charge for me to go through the last songs of this album.

- Always: hey, what's this? I kinda like the start of it. I have forgotten about you, little buddy. But then Dave starts singing and I don't think that effect on his mic goes with the song at all. And now Martin sings as well, with a different melody into the same song. And now Fletch plays with this cool app he downloaded from his iPhone to make synth sounds that really go well with any DM songs (he reckons). Now I know why I had forgotten about you, Always.

- All that's mine: it's finally over! I have to say this is an OK track. Not their best, but something I would listen once or twice a year.

beatmaster23

Comments